Monday, June 21, 2010

Proximity makes the hate grow stronger

I hold an irrational hatred of the Chevy HHR and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. The fact of the hate is certainly rational: those are two hideous eyesores of cars. However, the degree of hate may be a bit much. When I see these cars, I am so very tempted to leave a note. "You have an ugly ass car and it is contributing to the aesthetic downfall of the city. Your kids are embarrassed."

Two years ago, when I was only exposed to only one or two of these monstrosities a month, the feelings were not be so extreme. I'd see a PT Cruiser (I didn't have the misfortune of seeing an HHR until last year,) shake my head, and go on my way. Unfortunately, I live in a neighborhood with several of each car. One of them belongs to my boss.

The HHR is an embodiment of the worst qualities of my boss and her family. There are definite Napoleon issues. In my boss, this is manifested in her theatrical insistence that people won't take her seriously, and an accompanying dismissal of personal responsibility for this. In her husband, it's an overly macho attitude, a Porsche, and a partially unbuttoned shirt which reveals gold chains and a hairy chest. (No, he's not Italian.) They pride themselves on their collection of overpriced art and wine. Loudly. The HHR does get one noticed, which they seem to desperately want.

Should a state, local, or the federal government ever wish to institute a d-bag tax, below is a list of suggested signals that a person should be subject to the tax.
-has worn a tunic with tights past the age of 11
-has ever worn UGGs with shorts
-for males, has worn a short sleeved, button-down shirt with more than 2 buttons unbuttoned. (The wearing of a short-sleeved, button-down dress shirt with 2 or fewer buttons unbuttoned when not required to wear said shirt for work makes a person a dork, but otherwise imparts no character flaw.)
-has appeared on more than one reality show
-dislikes dogs
-praises crappy modern art such as http://www.fpaa.org/WhatsNew_Lichtenstein.html
-ownership of an HHR, PT Cruiser*, or Hummer
*An exception applies if the owner is over 70 years old, and their response to the question of why they purchased the PT Cruiser is, "Oh, it's just so darned quaint."

No comments:

Post a Comment