Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bobby McBrayer?

I guess I'd never heard Bobby Jindal speak until Tuesday night. And it was a bit difficult to take him seriously* when I kept picturing Jack McBrayer when I closed my eyes. Even when I blinked, I couldn't stop the image. What do you think? View Jindal's speech. (A couple sentences is all you need.)

Now play this:



And it isn't just the accent. I lived in the south for about 14 years and still have a slight accent myself, so I'm not one of those Yankees who thinks all Southerners sound the same. Both sound like they are smiling wide when they are talking (which I actually find endearing), but also, the inflections of the two are eerily similar. "I'm Bobby Jindal, governor of Louisiana. Tonight, we've witnessed a great moment in the history of our republic. In the very chamber where Congress once voted to abolish slavery, our first African-American president stepped forward to address the state of our union."

*Also making it difficult to take him seriously were the following:

1 - The boilerplate when stating anything negative about Obama, his policy, or his party: "Look at that guy. Boy, it's neat that we elected someone who would have been covered with mustard at a lunch counter 49 years ago or in slavery 144 years ago. Racism's over now that we have an African American president, and clearly I'm not racist, since I am commending this progress."

2 - I thought he was supposed to be responding to Obama. But then he pulled a muscle patting himself on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment